[Fedora-packaging] Removing files with RPM's build using python distutils

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 15:41:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 05:15:22PM +0200, Raoul Thill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently experimenting with packaging python projects using the
> distutils library.
> The packaging itself works fine, but I am having problems removing
> outdated/removed files when incrementing the RPM release counter or the
> version number. I thought that would be the RPM way :(
>
> Could someone explain me how to remove files using an rpm package in
>
> general, as I don't find anything related on the fedora packaging wiki
> pages?
>
> Example project structure:
>
> project-root
> -package1
> --file1
> -package2
> --file1
> --file2
>
> Now packaging the project-root with both python packages works fine.
> When removing the file2 from package2, the file is no longer in the new
> resulting rpm with release=2 (0.1.1-2) or newer version (0.1.2-1), but
> updating the package on the destination server using yum update, does
> not remove the file. I suppose that I need to include a macro to remove
> files on the destination server....
>
> As my current projects are all hosted on GIT repos, would there be an
> easier way to fulfill that task?
>
> Many thanks for some help on that point.

If you'd like to post your srpms (for both package1 and package2) we might
be able to help.  It sounds like there's some little point of information
about either rpm packaging or python packaging that you're not understanding
but without more information I can't really tell what that piece of
information is.

-Toswhio