[Fedora-packaging] packaging an axis2-based service

Andy Grimm agrimm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 23:20:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 06:19:21PM -0400, Andy Grimm wrote:
>> Hi, all.  As part of my work packaging Eucalyptus, I need to decide
>> where to put the "repositories" for a couple of axis2-based services.
>> Each service runs an apache instance on a special port with a custom
>> configuration that points to an axis2 repo path.  The repo directory
>> contains an xml config and a few directories:
>>
>> * lib -- this is just a symlink to the directory where the axis2
>> shared libraries live (i.e., /usr/lib64)
>> * modules -- this contains symlinks to axis2 modules which are needed
>> for this service
>> * services -- this contains individual web services, each of which
>> generally consists of a wsdl, an xml config file, and an ELF shared
>> object
>>
>> lib and modules aren't a problem, because they just contain symlinks
>> to files already owned by wso2-axis2 an related packages.  My question
>> is about the "services" directory.  Where should it live?  The only
>> precedent in Fedora is condor-aviary, which places the repository
>> structure in /var/lib/condor/aviary/.  This means that there are .so
>> files living in /var/lib.  Is that acceptable?  Or should they live
>> somewhere under %{_libdir} and be symlinked ?
>
> /var is for things that need to be changable at runtime.  From the sounds of
> it, this data is not changable at runtime.  You mention ELF so it's also
> arch specific.  Combined, it sounds like somewhere under %{_libdir} is
> appropriate here.  Not sure if %{_libdir}/$SERVICE or
> %{_libdir}/axis2/$SERVICE would be more appropriate.

Yep, agreed that /var doesn't seem like the right place.  I only
mentioned it due to the precedent from condor.

Currently wso2-axis2 does store its modules directory in
%{_libdir}/wso2-axis2 ... but nothing owns that directory (I'll file
an issue for that).  So, either underneath that or in a separate
directory under %{_libdir} is okay with me.  Does anyone else have an
opinion on this?

Thanks.

Andy