[Fedora-packaging] Introducing a directory for installed test programs

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Feb 9 02:01:48 UTC 2012

On 02/08/2012 05:10 PM, Tom Callaway wrote:
> On 02/07/2012 05:04 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> %{_libdir}/<package>/<somewhere>  avoids all these issues.
> No it doesn't.
Surely it is. It's what autoconf calls pkglibdir:
http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_106.html

>   Not to mention the fact that it isn't really appropriate
> to be putting binaries and architecture independent files there.

pkglibdir has been common practice for more than a decade. It's a
packages private playground, a package can play almost all games it
wants to.

Using it would duplicate "shareable" binaries, but it at the same time
allows parallel installation of multiarched binaries.
As the binaries we are talking about here are "test" binaries, this
would be exactly what the OS asked for.

He could use $libdir/<package>/bin or $libdir/<package>/tests at his
personal preference.

Ralf