[Fedora-packaging] Required use of /opt for AWS compatability

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 19:28:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:56:09PM -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Jeff Peeler <jpeeler at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>     The spec file in question is located here:
>     https://github.com/sdake/heat-rpms/blob/master/heat-cfntools.spec
>
>     I assume that since it is against Fedora guidelines to install to /opt,
>     that there aren't any exceptions. We do have in the repo a script to
>     create the AWS compatible symlinks in /opt, rather than the actual
>     files:
>     https://github.com/openstack/heat-cfntools/blob/master/bin/
>     cfn-create-aws-symlinks
>
>     Would it be acceptable to call the above script in the %post section?
>     I'm just not sure the proper way to proceed with the compatability and
>     guidelines being in conflict.
>

> I don't see a way to allow this.  As the guidelines sit now, we shouldn't touch
> /opt at all.

...wWhich would include running the script in %post.  We give /srv and /opt
to the sysadmin exclusively.

For the things packaged in Fedora, the correct thing to do would be to patch
everything to look in %{_bindir}/ for the programs (perhaps in addition to
/opt/aws).  If parts of the stack of dependent software is not ever going to
be in fedora, those pieces should be changed in the outside packaging.

Providing a script to create the symlinks that the sysadmin can optionally
run after the rpm is installed is okay as a temporary compatibility measure
although I would still urge/submit patches to upstream to search %{_bindir}
for the required programs.