[Fedora-packaging] libtool rpath issues

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Tue Apr 9 21:30:14 UTC 2013

On 04/04/13 14:06, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 04/04/2013 06:31 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
>> This has been discussed here before:
>> It would be really helpful for me and presumably other packages to
>> answer two questions:
>>
>> a) out of the available hacks (such as those described in the earlier
>> discussion on this list), which one is currently recommended to solve
>> the issue in the existing package?
>
> Here's the current recommendations:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Removing_Rpath

Thanks for this

--disable-rpath doesn't appear to be a standard configure option and
didn't resolve the issue

Therefore, I've used the sed hack, that did eliminate rpath

I had seen that wiki before, but I felt that it was ambiguous about what
it was aimed at - I had the impression it was for people who had
hard-coded rpath settings into Makefiles or configure.ac - the situation
facing my package doesn't arise from any such upstream badness, it is
more about the way libtool has been working.

It has also been acknowledged on the libtool mailing list:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2013-04/msg00001.html