[Fedora-packaging] Web Assets/JavaScript guideline drafts

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 10:52:38 UTC 2013

Hi Vit!

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 2:35 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi T.C.
>
> Thank you for your effort!
>
> I am sure you remember our discussions with regard to coffescript and
> uglifier, and their rubygems variants. Would you mind to show us some
> examples, how you wold apply these guidelines on these packages? How would
> Ruby on Rails colaborate with js-jquery, etc.

AIUI, Ruby wrappers to JS typically just bundle the JS, so when
packaging for Fedora you'd want to unbundle the JS and point them to
the system library.  (Node.js wrappers to pure-JS libraries like
jQuery work the same way.)

I already partially covered this in the Node.js case, but I've now
expanded it to include foreign language wrappers as well:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=User%3APatches%2FPackagingDrafts%2FJavaScript&diff=344637&oldid=344635

So the only thing that would change for you is the location, but at
least there will be one centralized directory for this going forward.

I'm sure Rails and other such frameworks will benefit from a one-stop
shop for assets as well.

If there's anything further that can be done to make things easier,
please let me know.

-T.C.