[Fedora-packaging] Conflicts when data is moved to a sub-package

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 17:29:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:51:49AM +0200, Till Maas wrote:

> dvb-apps will (at least on current Fedora releases, maybe not on
> Rawhide) require dtv-scan-tables but there is no need for
> dtv-scan-tables to require dvb-apps afaics.

Conflicts: dvb-apps <= NEVR_OF_PACKAGE_BEFORE_SPLIT

would not violate the spirit of the guideline.  The guideline was written
so that people could always install the latest packages from the repo
regardless of what other packages they have installed.  Having the version
in the conflicts allows that to continue to be the case.

I thought that the Optional feature portion of the guideline would cover
this explicitly but it looks like it doesn't.  The FPC should probably add
this as another case where (versioned) conflicts are acceptable so that that
is clear.

If you'd like to open a ticket, that can be done.