[Fedora-packaging] Convert 64bit DEB to RPM - dependency errors

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sat May 4 18:29:59 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Michael Hall <mike at mjhall.org> wrote:
> I am attempting to repackage a DEB version of the Lightworks video editor as
> an RPM for Fedora 18 (x86_64).
> I have unpacked the DEB file and copied the contents of data.tar.gz (/usr
> and subdirectories) to my BUILDROOT directory.
> Then I created a spec file which basically just specifies package info and
> the %files section.
> The RPM builds OK but does not install due to dependency errors.
> The dependencies are all actually in the RPM itself, as the Lightworks DEB
> package includes its own versions of needed libraries in
> /usr/lib/lightworks.
> Obviously, the RPM doesn't know about this.

Wait, the libraries in question are provided along with the lightworks
package?  If so, these private libraries should probably *not* go into
the system path, and in fact this probably won't even work because the
program most likely hardcodes the location of the libraries instead of
checking the system path.

If I understand you correctly, your only problem is RPM's dependency
generator writes out some bogus requires from these private libraries.
 That's easy to fix:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:AutoProvidesAndRequiresFiltering

> Apparently Debian doesn't use the /usr/lib64 location for 64 bit libraries.
> The problem may have something to do with this, or ldconfig or similar.
> Adding /sbin/ldconfig to a %post section has made no difference.
> Putting the libraries in either /usr/lib or /usr/lib64 in the RPM also
> hasn't fixed the issue
> Any suggestions on how I can resolve this?

-T.C.