[Fedora-packaging] Using autogenerated sources

Susi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 10 18:31:14 UTC 2013

On Fri, 10 May 2013 11:01:14 -0700
Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:22:32AM +0300, Susi Lehtola wrote:
> > Is it OK if I do step a) locally and use the pregenerated sources
> > for the EPEL branches? The Fedora branches would still do the whole
> > bootstrap process.
>
> Is this for bootstrap-only?  ie: You can build once with the locally
> generated (a) and then immediately rebuild the package using the
> compiler in the just-built package?  That can probably get an
> exception from the FPC using the bootstrap guidelines fairly easily.
>
> If the EPEL branches will always have to have step (a) pregenerated
> then the outlook is a lot more grim but we can look at that if we
> have to.

The library is for computing special six-dimensional integrals, for
which there are many possible ways to reach the wanted result using
recursion relations. The compiler has some heuristics to determine what
is the shortest path, and generates the code that implements this path.

So, the compiler isn't bootstrap-only, but given the above the
sources generated with the same configure flags should end up to be
equivalent. Upstream releases only stable tarballs of the generated
sources that are aimed for end users. The compiler doesn't have
these kind of stable releases, it's just available in a VCS.
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org