[Fedora-packaging] Can we allow such URL?

Christopher Meng cickumqt at gmail.com
Thu May 30 08:49:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Matthias Runge
<mrunge at matthias-runge.de> wrote:
> Does this answer your question now?

Let me speak more clearly.

Now the GitHub SourceURL guidelines[1] said:

"For the source tarball, you should use this syntax:

https://github.com/$OWNER/$PROJECT/archive/%{commit}/%{name}-%{version}-%{shortcommit}.tar.gz"

Well, each time I have to %global %{commit} and {shortcommit}, I think
it's boring.

Now looking at:

https://github.com/$OWNER/$PROJECT/tags

If the author has tagged the release, GitHub will offer each tag with
3 links: Zipball URL/ Tarball URL and a link to the commit of this
tag.

I only discuss tarball, tarball offers this URL:

https://github.com/$OWNER/$PROJECT/archive/%{version}.tar.gz

So my question is that can we use this URL as the Source0 instead of
the guidelines said?

Thanks.

[1]----https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:SourceURL#Github