[Fedora-packaging] Packages approved without satisfied dependencies

Thomas Spura tomspur at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 12 14:22:13 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 12.11.2013 13:42, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski napsal(a):
>
>  On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 at 12:54, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I see more often then I would like that some packages get pushed
>>> into Fedora and immediately appears among broken dependencies, since
>>> they were pushed into Fedora sooner then their dependencies.
>>>
>>> So I propose to add one additional bullet into reviewer guidelines [1]:
>>>
>>> "Package has to have satisfied all its dependencies prior it is
>>> approved."
>>>
>>> Hopefully somebody will notice next time during review ....
>>>
>> *Sigh* it's another case of something so obvious that nobody thought
>> it needed to be spelled out before, but apparently it's necessary now,
>> so +1.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dominik
>>

> Better would be if it is technically impossible, but I have no idea how to
> achieve that :/ Actually, the script which creates the dist-git repo could
> check the .spec file and availability in Fedora and deny to create repo
> without satisfied dependencies, but it seems to be a bit overkill.

Hmm, is it usefull to have Requires, that are not installed on build time?
If a package has a Requires on something, and doesn't need it on build
time, build time is faster as the installation can be saved. But other than
that, it shouldn't hurt to just blindly install the requires also on
buildtime and in such cases it would fail.

Are there other reasons except saving some installation time for not
installing the requires on build time?

Greetings,
   Tom