[Fedora-packaging] SCL -- buildtime information

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Tue Oct 8 06:31:45 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> There's two models that we can choose from:
>
> * Building to separate targets per scl.  For that model you can have
>   a separate branch per scl.  This is more or less the style that's being
>   used inside of RH.  However, in Fedora land this would mean that we need
>   to have seperate yum repos per scl, seperate bodhi updates targets, and
>   some
>   way to add repo files to systems for each scl.

Why would it mean all that? Could you please provide an explanation - is it because lack of support in tooling or something else?

>   - Note: there may be additional work as well.  dgilmore asked whether the
>     SCL model is to build once for the oldest supported OS release and then
>     that SCL build will run on any newer OS release.  If that's not the case
>     (I
>     didn't think it was but confirmation would be nice) then you'd need to
>     have separate yum/bodhi/etc for every $SCL-$OSRelease combination.

Generally, it's not the case. For example, if you're building a collection that depenends on libfoo in FX and libfoo changes abi in FX+1, then you need to rebuild the collection.

> * Instead we could build for the main Fedora Repo.  If we do this, the spec
>   file, git repo name, and srpm package name all need to match.  That means
>   we'd have a separate git-level package for each package+scl combination.
>   So if we had scl-php5.6 and we needed a php and php-gettext package for it
>   we'd need separate git-level packages named scl-php5.6-php and
>   scl-php5.6-php-gettext.

Again, why all these limitations? Problems with tooling?

> dgilmore did say he'd like to test if there might be a way to separate
> targets building to the same tag.

How about setting the tag to inherit from all the build tags of collections?

> -Toshio

Thanks,
Slavek.