[Fedora-packaging] jquery bundling for new packages

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 11:52:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 2:35 AM, Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com> wrote:
> TIL that there are around a thousand packages
> in Fedora that include a file named jquery.js... [1]

For added fun, there are about 100 more files named jquery.js in the distro than
there are packages containing that file, so some of those packages have several
copies of it.  Or maybe one has a hundred?  The mind boggles.  O_o

> Anyway it is good to see efforts to tackle these kinds of problems
> with the Javascript and Web Assets Guidelines. :)
>
> I want to ask if the packaging of grunt and jquery
> blocks current package reviews of packages that bundle jquery.js?
> Or can they proceed for now until jquery is actually packaged in Fedora?

Toshio at least seemed to be of the opinion that they have to wait now:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-August/187836.html

Personally, I'd rather put it off until F21 branch time or something like that.
We're not quite ready to kick this off yet (most of the Change got punted off
to F21 thanks to scope creep and me not having time to get what needed to be
done done before change freeze).

Honestly, a few more copies of jquery.js really aren't going to kill us at this
point.  As long as it's not 100 in one package, anyway.  ;-)

I'll try and catch FPC during their meeting in a few hours and see if they have
an opinion on this if I can, but I'm not sure I can be on IRC at the time.  Feel
free to bring it up there yourself if you'd like.

> Jens
>
> ps It is going to be a long cleanup process to fix all those packages with bundled files.

Sure is.  :-/

-T.C.