[Fedora-packaging] Python- prefix must for all python module?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 09:12:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 22:22:32 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2013 10:05 PM, "Praveen Kumar" wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just came across pytz [0] package and looks like it's a python
> > module/library and still doesn't start with python- prefix. Is it as
> > expected or we can patch it with as naming conventions? I also went
> > through python packaging guideline [1] and it shows that is must for
> > python3 version of executable.  Any points?
> >
> > [0] https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/pytz
> > [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python#Naming
>
> I'm on my phone right now and can't easily look this up but I believe the
> python- prefix is expected of packages *but* this is a case where
> guidelines have been updated.  So done packages exist which were reviewed
> and entered the collection before the prefix was made mandatory.  In many
> cases packages that followed old guidelines are grandfathered in and slowly
> update to new guidelines as the packages are naturally updated.

The %parent-%child naming guidelines have not existed always.
It used to be okay for packages to start with "py". I don't think all
packagers are aware of those guidelines yet.

Current guidelines:

 * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Addon_Packages_.28General.29

 * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Addon_Packages_.28python_modules.29

 * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Addon_Packages_.28python3_modules.29

> For a package changing name, a package re-review is needed. So this needs
> to have a maintainer(s) who have the time to go through the package rename
> process to fix it up.

Subpackages may be renamed without a re-review. There are enough packages
that _end_ with -python, e.g. xmms2-python is a Python module.

 # yum list \*-python|wc -l
 174

There are also conflicts, such as:

  # yum list python-ufl ufl-python
  Loaded plugins: langpacks, refresh-packagekit
  Available Packages
  python-ufl.noarch                    1.0.0-6.fc20                         fedora
  ufl-python.noarch                    0.1-0.4.pre.fc20                     fedora

It's in bugzilla since February without a response.