[Fedora-packaging] Python- prefix must for all python module?

Rich Mattes richmattes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 13:00:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 22:22:32 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> > For a package changing name, a package re-review is needed. So this needs
> > to have a maintainer(s) who have the time to go through the package
> rename
> > process to fix it up.
>
> Subpackages may be renamed without a re-review. There are enough packages
> that _end_ with -python, e.g. xmms2-python is a Python module.

If I wanted to fix up some old packages that use the packagename-python
convention, would the best way to go about this be to Provide the old
module name when switching to the new name?  If a package foo-python is a
subpackage of foo, and I wanted to change it to python-foo, I should:

%package -n python-foo
Provides: foo-python

Or would it be better to obsolete the foo-python package?  I think the
first is better since it allows the old package to be updated to the new
package name, and after a couple releases the line providing the old
package name could be removed.

Rich