[Fedora-packaging] guidelines for go?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sun Sep 22 17:40:10 UTC 2013

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 12:07:20AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I'm beginning to _strongly_ believe that we should follow the debian idea
> here: https://wiki.debian.org/MichaelStapelberg/GoPackaging and not package
> pre-compiled Go libraries at all (outside of the standard library).

To back this up:

 * Building the static libraries doesn't really buy anything other than
   faster build times, and it's not like the Go compiler is really slow.

 * The static .a files are _very_ specific to Go compiler version -- objects
   built with Go 1.1.1 will not work with Go 1.1.2. This means that all
   golang-*-devel packges would need to be rebuilt when Go has even a minor
   update.

 * Putting the .a and source files into the system GOROOT means that
   they're found when _rebuilding_ the same package, and the previous
   spec file conditional to detect and work around this wasn't working
   right.

 * In absence of a strong reason to do things differently, it'd be nice to
   be consistent with Debian.