[Fedora-packaging] Moving configuration files in a package...

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Wed Sep 25 16:14:36 UTC 2013

On 09/25/2013 06:56 PM, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> For one package I maintain (qpid-cpp-server) the upstream team moved the
> location of the configuration file from /etc to /etc/qpid, where the
> other configuration files lived.
>
> I pushed the latest update and am now getting hit with negative karma
> and a BZ complaining about this change.
>
> What is SOP for when a project moves configurations? I had resisted the
> suggestion of having the spec move the configuration. Talking with other
> packagers they agreed. But simply replying to a BZ with "the file's
> moved, just copy yours over" and closing the BZ feels a bit aloof.
>
> Suggestions?
Add a postinstall script which copies the old config from its previous
location to the new one and maybe also a symlink from the new to the old
location to the new one. Exercise care with both commands so as to not
overwrite existing files.
I would also add a README pointing out the change. Not that people
actually read but still...