[Fedora-packaging] Selective updates of sub-packages

Matthias Runge mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Thu Mar 27 12:26:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

recently, I stumbled upon the question, if we'd support partial updates
of packages. In the specific case, both python-django and python3-django
were installed, and the update via yum update python-django failed.[1]

The underlying issue is here, that python3-django and python-django
share the same bash completion definition. I moved that out to a
sub-package both python-django and python3-django can safely require,
thus, the conflict is solved. Nevertheless, on the partial upgrade case,
a conflict can still occur.

Thoughts?

[1]
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2014-4393/python-django-1.6.2-1.fc20