[Fedora-packaging] Second opinion needed on location of static arch independent data

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 00:07:43 UTC 2015

On 26 July 2015 at 00:13, William Moreno <williamjmorenor at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> For me the data under %{python3_sitelib} is arch indepent, Python code that
> is not arch indepent is under %{python3_sitearch} so the arch independent
> argument is not good enough to move these files.

You're misunderstanding my point. It's not the fact that it is arch
independent that is significant. This isn't about %{python3_sitelib}
vs. %{python3_sitearch} (both would be the wrong place for static
data). It's the fact that it is *static data* (and arch independent),
and not python library code. The FHS is very clear that static data
which is arch independent should go under /usr/share.

> See: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_Python#System_Architecture

There's nothing in that document germane to the issue as far as i can see.

As it goes, setuptools has ability to specify location of data files, see:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#including-data-files

>> So, the question is: is it acceptable for this package to install arch
>> independent themes (i.e. non-python code) under
>> /usr/lib/python3/site-packages ?
>>

> For me put these files under  /usr/lib/python3/site-packages  is not a bad
> packaging.

But your reasoning is simply "because other packages do it". I am
afraid I don't feel that is a valid argument.

Jonathan.