[Fedora-packaging] Packages without a dist tag

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 13:06:05 UTC 2015

> I've been excited for a while¹ about letting packagers (along with
> other test contributors) add tests to a git tree analogous to dist-git.
> "test-git", I guess. I imagine 'fedpkg clone' being changed to check
> out both trees into a common directory, although there are a lot of
> possible implementations. I know you're just talking about whitelists
> at this point, but perhaps that could be the first step?

This in the plans, and yes, it was supposed to be a small step forward in this direction :)

> Another thing to consider — if you look at a buildSRPMFromSCM task,
> there are parameters like Build Tag and SCM URL — and the the git url
> should² include commit hash, even. I was _already_ wondering if we
> could find some way to include this in the RPM header, along with the
> koji task ID. This would probably be less disruptive than my
> ditch-the-dist-tag suggestion. :)

Placing information like these directly into RPM headers would be awesome. Is it technically possible? Does anyone know if there are any drawbacks to this approach (i.e. increased metadata size)? Would it be hard to implement?