[Fedora-packaging] Packages without a dist tag

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 30 14:27:07 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 09:06:05AM -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > I've been excited for a while¹ about letting packagers (along with
> > other test contributors) add tests to a git tree analogous to dist-git.
> > "test-git", I guess. I imagine 'fedpkg clone' being changed to check
> This in the plans, and yes, it was supposed to be a small step
> forward in this direction :)

Nice. :)

> > Another thing to consider — if you look at a buildSRPMFromSCM task,
> > there are parameters like Build Tag and SCM URL — and the the git url
> > should² include commit hash, even. I was _already_ wondering if we
> > could find some way to include this in the RPM header, along with the
> > koji task ID. This would probably be less disruptive than my
> > ditch-the-dist-tag suggestion. :)
> Placing information like these directly into RPM headers would be
> awesome. Is it technically possible? Does anyone know if there are
> any drawbacks to this approach (i.e. increased metadata size)? Would
> it be hard to implement?

I'm sure it's technically possible. It would increase metadata size,
but it doesn't seem like by a lot, and it seems like valuable
metadata to me making it worth it. I don't know how hard it'd be,
though. (I think the build system side would be easy, and adding
support to RPM _seems_ easy, but we'd have to ask the actual RPM
maintainers.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>