[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 10 19:50:27 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 02:41:13PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Anyway, what I don't get is why we're to the point of tossing out the
> primary anti-bundling rule when FESCo has always had the power to
> override any FPC decision.  So FPC says "this isn't good packaging" and
> FESCo can say "we understand, but quality packaging here is subservient
> to the distro's mission".  That's always been the case, even when the
> "E" stood for "Extras", and I suspect it would have worked just fine for
> this situation.  Instead we're here debating whether FPC should be in
> the business of reviewing bundling issues at all.

I think it's because overriding a different group seems hostile, even
if it isn't meant that way. And FESCo doesn't want to feel like they're
second-guessing other groups all the time. But, if FESCo and FPC want
to (more, I guess) explicitly spell out that FPC takes a purist
approach and that it's FESCo's place to make exceptions when they serve
greater Fedora goals, maybe that could work?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>