version module is missing from SRPM build root

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 07:52:39 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 04:49:05PM +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On 27/10/14 11:37, Petr Pisar wrote:
> >on Friday, I fixed the perl-Module-CoreList file list, so that all
> >Also if you use the version module when building a package, then don't
> >forget to build-require the module. This is especially true for modules
> >installed into standard Perl include paths which run-require the
> >perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_...) whose exact value is computed by the version
> >module.
>
> Since every perl module package should be doing this, would it not make
> sense to add perl(version) as a dependency of something that *does* get
> pulled into the buildroot for perl module builds? perl-srpm-macros perhaps?

Ough. The thing about perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_...) is not true. I saw hyphen,
a capital letter, and version and I imagined that it's -Mversion. No. The
"perl -V" does not need the version module.

So no, you don't have to build-require perl(version) for computing
perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_...) symbol.

Regarding putting a perl dependency into perl-srpm-macros: I would like to see
more sophisiticated and helpful macros there. However I also would like to see
a posibility to expell the perl from the minimal build root. The less packages
are needed there the better for portability, bootstrapping, maintenace etc.

-- Petr