Fedora 4 test 1 PPC left G5 unbootable

Chris Leech chris.leech at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 01:42:26 UTC 2005

I attempted to install 3.90 on a single CPU G5 from DVD, which once I
got the install image to boot and anaconda running seemed to go just
fine.  Unfortunately something seems to have gone wrong with the
yaboot setup, and what I'm really worried about now is I can't get
back into Mac OSX.

I added a second SATA drive, and installed Fedora there.  After
installation nothing happened on reboot.  From the OF shell I can find
yaboot and boot into Fedora (X isn't working, there were some other
errors I haven't looked into yet) but I can't get OSX running.  I can
start BootX (the apple BootX, not the old world Linux bootloader) but
it doesn't seem to find the OS.  From Linux I can see the first drive,
but if I boot an OSX install CD it doesn't give me an option to
install to that drive and Disk Utility doesn't show any partitions.

Any ideas on what went wrong and how I might attempt to fix it?

- Chris