Help...Fedora Core 4 on old world power book.

sriram e_genome at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 18:30:14 UTC 2005

I am trying to install FC4 on Wallstreet Power Book
G3. This is the first time i am trying to install
linux!!!

Since this is a powerbook with the oldworld-ROM, I can
not use yaboot(as i read in linuxppc.org). So, I
booted into Mac OS 9, and installed BooX loader.

With the kernel arguments for BootX
(video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:32,mclk:71 single) , I am
finally able to get into the FC4 anaconda installer.
(I have the CDs)

Every step after that went through fine. And when i
finally rebooted, I don't get no where!!!

To find what the problem is, I booted onto Mac OS 9
CD. I see only one partition on my hard drive named
"bootstrap", which contains yaboot.

I guess, for some reason FC4 installer is installing
yaboot bootloader. But yaboot doesnt work with
Oldworld Powerbooks.

Then I went through the installation guide at
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc4/index.html

I discovered that I never really got this screen

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc4/ch-bootloader.html

during my installation. I never was able to switch off
the install of bootloader.

What should i do to get this screen ?
Is there any kernel argument i can pass, to stop the
installer from installing the bootloader ?

thanks,
-sriram.