Newbie with Power Mac G5.

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Sun Feb 5 16:06:56 UTC 2006

On 5. feb 2006, at 0.57, Brian D. Carlstrom wrote:

> does "uname -r" report kernel version 2.6.15-1.1830_FC4? this is the
> latest "updates" kernel.

The new kernel seems to be working (2.6.15-1.1830_FC4). as long as I
do a "2.6.15-1.1830_F runlevel 3" at boot, I can login and then run
"startx". I again updated the system running up2date, which had found
a couple of networking libs. The thermal and fan control seem to be
working. No problems with working in X as long as the sound is off,
but as soon as I try to log out, the system freezes. I have also
noticed that if I am working in the command line before running
"startx", I have to be very careful when using the backspace key. If
I go too far, I get the "ata1: command 0x35 timeout, stat 0x50
host_stal 0x4 hda lost interrupt mpic_enable_irq timeout" problem.
The /etc/yaboot.conf seems to have been updated for the new linux
kernels that were installed. I added a line
"default=2.6.15-1.1830_F" in yaboot.conf, but at the OpenFirmware
prompt at startup I can't just type in "runlevel 3" to make sure that
the default kernel doesn't boot into X automatically as the system
freezes when I get a normal graphic login.

Cheers,

Brian