mkvmlinuz kernel query

james rooker james_l_rooker at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 23:31:19 UTC 2007

On a G3 when I try to compile my own ppc kernel...the
make zImage command generates a vmlinux file that ends
up between 30-45MB in size....From personal testing
that vmlinux file with an initrd generated by the
mkinitrd command will boot and run linux just fine on
my machine...but make zImage normally should result in
a vmlinux file and a compressed vmlinuz file...It
never makes the vmlinuz file at all. If I try to use
the normal make bzImage command instead of just make
zImage --
then I get an error which states: "no rule to make
bzImage" -- I understand that on a 64bit G5 that make
bzImage works just like it does on an x86 compile...

>From reading some debian kernel info and contrasting
it with redhat-style kernel compile info -- I
understand that ppc debian has a mkvmlinuz command
that will take uncompressed vmlinux file and a ramdisk
or initrd and make a working vmlinuz file with the
proper pivot point in it.

Is there a mkvmlinuz command or equivalent for Fedora
PPC?

Is there some special command I need to do on a G3
before I do the  "make zImage" to get a working
vmlinuz from a working vmlinux?

I normally use a copy of a config file from a working
fedora kernel...
then edit it to my needs...then copy to .config in
/usr/src/linux and  do
make oldconfig...make modules...make
modules_install...make zImage in that order...

Thanks-
James Rooker