should we be worried or status fedora ppc

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Feb 15 23:43:13 UTC 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 18:40, james rooker wrote:
> Does secondary status mean it will be harder to get
> ppc rpm packages? Or harder to get ppc version iso
> images?

Not so much.  It just means that builds on the primary arches won't fail if
the build fails on a secondary arch, so it will be up to the community built
around the secondary arch to ensure that the arch continues to work.  The
secondary arch group will also be responsible for spinning their release, but
the tools we provide make that very easy.

> Guess we should be hoping the PS3 use as a linux box
> really takes off or XBOX 360 gets hacked to use ppc
> linux -- so that the powers that be may see fit to
> keep ppc arch in the mainstream.

I really don't see that as adding a significant amount of users.

> Does Fedora PPC get
> any real help at all from IBM or YellowDog considering
> both use ppc linux and fedora as a base quite
> extensively??

Not so much.  IBM does some help with the RHEL stuff I think, but not so much
Fedora that I've seen.  It has been mostly up to our internal engineers to
fix things on PPC when they go wrong.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora