Fedora 8 on PS3: ppc or ppc64?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Sun Feb 24 14:57:06 UTC 2008

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:21:49 +0000
Andrea <mariofutire at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't really understand whether the Playstation 3 running Fedora 8
> supposed to be ppc or ppc64.
>
> The question arises because it seems that it is not possible to
> install both RPMs for ppc and ppc64 for all application.
>
> For instance: I cannot install alsa-lib-devel for both because they
> provide the same documentation files that conflict.
>
> The same for gdb-ppc and gdb-ppc64. I have both RPMs installed, but
> gdb is in the same path for both: /usr/bin/gdb and only the last
> survives, the first is overwritten?
>
> Am I wrong?

You're supposed to use the "ppc" release of Fedora, booting the ppc64
kernel.  The installer will take care to install the right mix of
packages for you.

(well, "right" may be a stretch, at least a working set.)

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)