Fedora 8 on PS3: ppc or ppc64?

Andrea mariofutire at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 24 19:16:55 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:21:49 +0000
> Andrea <mariofutire at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> You're supposed to use the "ppc" release of Fedora, booting the ppc64
> kernel.  The installer will take care to install the right mix of
> packages for you.
>
> (well, "right" may be a stretch, at least a working set.)

The installer has decided for me the following

1) I can run ppc and ppc64 apps because I have almost all libraries in both versions

2) I can only develop alsa-ppc64 apps. It has decided to install alsa-lib-devel.ppc64
I cannot install alsa-lib-devel.ppc because there is a conflict (they both provide the same files:
i.e. the same documentation)

3) I can only debug ppc apps. Even if I have gdb-ppc and gdb-ppc64, I can only see the ppc version
of gdb. Since they are both supposed to be in /usr/bin/gdb I guess the last installation overwrites
the first.
I've tried manually extract gdb from the 2 RPMs and I can see that the one installed as /usr/bin/gdb
comes from ppc (and it does not debug ppc64 apps).

4) many other applications are in the same situation. For instance I have firefox-ppc and
firefox-ppc64. Most of firefox is under /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 so it looks to me a waste of space
since they both do the same.

The set is theoretically a "working set", but it does not make much sense.

I think I will try to remove all devel-ppc64 versions so that I can develop for ppc without issues.

I don't think it is an easy problem to solve, unless one mirrors all system directories.
At present only /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 can fully coexists.

Or one could choose at the beginning to install only ppc or ppc64.

Am I just talking nonsense?