Fedora 8 on PS3: ppc or ppc64?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Feb 25 14:38:29 UTC 2008

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:16:55 +0000
Andrea <mariofutire at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I don't think it is an easy problem to solve, unless one mirrors all
> system directories. At present only /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 can fully
> coexists.
>
> Or one could choose at the beginning to install only ppc or ppc64.
>
> Am I just talking nonsense?

You can't just be ppc, as the ppc kernel won't boot on ppc64.  You
shouldn't be all ppc64 either, because the ppc64 binaries tend to be
slower than their ppc counterparts.  What you really need is a small
mix of both, but that makes developing one or the other somewhat
difficult.  Welcome to the hell of multilib.

I suggest making use of mock to create chroots of pure archness to
develop with.  Mock can give you a pure ppc chroot and a pure ppc64
chroot for which to develop in.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)