Fedora 8 on PS3: ppc or ppc64?

Andrea mariofutire at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 25 21:21:30 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 19:16:55 +0000
> Andrea <mariofutire at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> You can't just be ppc, as the ppc kernel won't boot on ppc64.  You
> shouldn't be all ppc64 either, because the ppc64 binaries tend to be
> slower than their ppc counterparts.  What you really need is a small
> mix of both, but that makes developing one or the other somewhat
> difficult.  Welcome to the hell of multilib.

Indeed!

> I suggest making use of mock to create chroots of pure archness to
> develop with.  Mock can give you a pure ppc chroot and a pure ppc64
> chroot for which to develop in.

To be honest, I am perfectly happy to live in a world of

kernel is ppc64
everything else is ppc

So my plan is:

1) remove all devel packages for ppc64 and replace (if missing) with ppc
2) remove all duplicate applications ppc/ppc64 keeping only ppc
3) keep all libraries on both versions so I can (just in case) still run everything

would that work?

You'll know it soon!