Xorg crash on iBook Clamshell G3 and workaround

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue May 6 14:00:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 23:02 -0400, Joseph Adams wrote:
> On my iBook Clamshell (G3, ATI Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02)), I
> couldn't use the ati driver with Fedora 9 because, as Xorg.0.log says,
> it can't open the frame buffer device.

I've got a PowerBook G3 I recently inherited that has the exact same
issue (and the exact same video chipset).

> I successfully used the fbdev
> driver, but it's not accelerated.

This works for me too.

> I later found a workaround to
> enable acceleration:
>
> Make sure the Device section has at least these:
>         Driver      "ati"
>         #the above can also be Driver "r128"
>         Option      "UseFBDev" "false"
>
> Make sure the Screen section includes this:
>         Option "NoInt10" "true"

This doesn't work for me, I get maybe 800x600 worth of functioning
screen real estate, with the rest containing assorted junk offset from
other parts of the screen (1024x768 display, iirc).

Been meaning to file a bug myself, but haven't got around to it...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com