yum/cpio problem

John Himpel john at jlhimpel.net
Tue May 13 21:31:43 UTC 2008

Good afternoon,

I have a G3 iMac running Fedora 8.  After a fresh install, I am using
yum to update my system with the standard Fedora repositories.

When I enter "yum update yum", I get the following error:

Error unpacking rpm package yum - 3.2.8-2.fc8.noarch
Error: unpacking of archive failed on
file /usr/share/yum-cli/yumupd.pyc: cpio: link updated:
yum.noarch.0:3.2.8-2.fc8

So I performed a "yum update cpio" which completed successfully.

But "yum update yum" still fails for the same reason.

Other packages such as openoffice.org-core fail for the same reason as
well.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

John