Fedora 22

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 18:32:00 UTC 2014

>> Hi
>>   We briefly discussed priorities for Fedora 22 and I had taken an
>> action item to start an email conversation about this.  So here is
>> what I would like to see for Fedora 22.
>>
>> 1)  Get the -mcpu and -mtune flags set properly for the LE build.
>> Should be -mcpu=power7 -mtune=power8
>
> done, all packages that honour the Fedora system wide compiler flags
> use them, if they don't it's a packaging bug
>
>> 2) Have a cloud image available
>> 3) For BE I would like another subarch.  Same packages as the current
>> one but tuned for P8.
>
> you mean in addition to ppc64p7? can't we just switch ppc64p7 from
> -mcpu=power7 -mtune=power7 to -mcpu=power7 -mtune=power8?

This makes sense to me as it then mirrors what we have in ppc64le and
it saves having more targets.

>> 4) Looking into if we can get Docker enabled for POWER.  I will send
>> out further emails about this as
>>     soon as I know more about the current development state
>> 5) Start the ground work for a workstation release.  But I think we
>> should target the release for Fedora-23.
>
> yeah, the deadlines in F-22 won't give us enough time to work on it

Agreed, ultimately all the packages are built and as a result it's
possible to install and test all the main components of Workstation
for those that actually have desktop capable hardware to do any
development/testing/debug that is required to ensure all the
underlying workstation components and dependencies are in a good state
for Fedora 23.

It's likely there will be work needed on the X stack components like
mesa etc to ensure all is working.

>>     I seem to remember hearing that there is a quite a lot of work
>> involved to get this build going.
>
> we should have almost everything built (eg. LibreOffice is known to fail
> to build), but it's not tested and if broken, it will need to be fixed
>
> One thing to not forgot is that also the mainline kernel needs to have
> the necessary support for the workstation class hw.

I think the biggest thing will be the graphics stack. While all the
workstation bits are built I doubt they've had wide and varied testing
to ensure they're al sufficiently optimised and robust for a good
Workstation experience.

Peter