Mac PowerBook G4

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 3 23:12:50 UTC 2014

On Friday, October 3, 2014, 1:51:37 PM, Bill Chatfield wrote:
> Thanks for the info Dan and Al.

> Right, I'm interested in ppc32 from a hobbyist perspective. Red
> Hat/CentOS would be for production. The difference between running
> MacOS X and Linux on this machine is like night and day, with Linux
> being the "day". I think the effort to make things work on older
> hardware forces one to think more about efficiency versus waste,
> which is a good thing to consider.

Aside  from  my  G5s,  I have a number of G4 and G3 Macs (plus two IBM
7046-B50  CHRP  32-bit machines currently running AIX 5.1). I've got a
number  of different video cards for the PowerMacs, as that (older ATI
on Intel) is what drew me into the Macs in the first place.

The  only  one  that  has  cost  that  much is the G5 Quad, but that's
because  I've  added a 4TB drive and am maxing out the RAM (16 GB when
I'm done) so it will be a useful Koji builder for ppc64 and ppc32.

> I have a Fedora 17 PPC install disk. And now I know, by
> experimenting with Lubuntu PPC, which kernel parameters are required
> to get X to start up on my machine, so I can probably start with
> Fedora 17. But, it looks like I'll need to upgrade through to F20.

It  would  be  helpful  should  you  find  a spare moment if you could
briefly post your notes (or useful URLs) with those kernel parameters.

Al