Mac PowerBook G4

Bill Chatfield bill_chatfield at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 04:11:23 UTC 2014

Below is my yaboot.conf file which contains the parameters and my comments. Most of my problems have to do with the fact that I have a Radeon card:

0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV350/M10 [Mobility Radeon 9600 PRO Turbo]

bill at powerbook:~$ cat /etc/yaboot.conf
## yaboot.conf generated by the Ubuntu installer
##
## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
##
## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-FUJITSU_MHT2080AT_NN4CT4718GM5-part2"
device=/pci at f4000000/ata-6 at d/@0
partition=3
root="UUID=1a7f3c8f-1907-4349-81c9-538cef6fbd16"
timeout=50
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
enablecdboot

# radeonfb is the old driver. It works but it cannot do hardware
# accelleration. It must be turned off if the new radeon driver is to be
# turned on. The latest versions of the new radeon driver require that KMS
# is turned on with radeon.modeset=1. This causes crashes/hangs unless
# AGP mode is turned down or off. I'm turning it off with radeon.agpmode=-1,
# even though my card is mode 4.
#
# Setting radeon.agpmode=-1 is a necessary workaround according to the
# Ubuntu PPC FAQ and the Fedora 16 PPC page.
#
# Sometimes you get a blank screen but it is just because the brightness
# got set to zero. Turn up the brightness (screen backlight) to fix it: Fn-F?.
#
# This also requires 16-bit color. OpenGL fails in 32/24-bit color. See the
# /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
image=/boot/vmlinux
	label=testing
	read-only
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="quiet splash video=radeonfb:off video=radeon:1280x854-32 at 60 radeon.modeset=1 radeon.agpmode=-1"

# This is the default config for Lubuntu, which works, but without hardware
# accelleration. It uses the old radeonfb kernel driver.
image=/boot/vmlinux
	label=Linux
	read-only
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="quiet splash video=radeonfb:1280x854-32 at 60 nomodeset"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
	label=old
	read-only
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
	append="quiet splash video=radeonfb:1280x854-32 at 60 nomodeset"

# I thought this setup failed, but it might have worked. It resulted in a
# blank screen, but that may have been because the brightness automatically
# got set to zero. This happens in my above working configuration too.
image=/boot/vmlinux
	label=failed
	read-only
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="quiet splash radeon.modeset=1 video=offb:off video=radeonfb:off video=1280x854-32 at 60 radeon.agpmode=-1"

bill at powerbook:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "radeon"
    Option      "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
    Option      "AccelDFS"      "off"

# Reducing AGPMode helps stop hangs/crashes. My card is a 4 but 1 works better.
    Option      "AGPMode"       "1"
    Option      "AGPFastWrite"  "1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"

    # With this I'm attempting to avoid glxinfo from failing to load r300.
    DefaultDepth 16

    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     16