Python SIG

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at oss.schwarz.eu
Sun Mar 21 07:28:01 UTC 2010

Am 18.03.2010 15:39, schrieb Stanley A. Klein:
> I think the issue of Python distutils/setuptools is important.  I posted a
> note to the Python Distutils SIG asking if there was any way I could do an
> RPN package (using bdist_rpm) with results going to my usual rpmbuild
> directory tree instead of being placed in the same directory tree as the
> sources and setup.py.  I didn't get a response.

Actually I read your mail but honestly I found it confusing / it was not clear
to me what you're aiming at.

> Meanwhile, everything seems to be eggs and easy_install that conflict with
> the overall system management aspects (and Linux Standards Base aspects)
> of RPM.

Can you elaborate this a bit more? What is 'everything'? Is it linked to
Fedora or the fact that most projects publish eggs on their own?

> I think that any changes to fix the Python distutils/setuptools for RPMs
> will probably need to originate in the Fedora community.

How do you think that should be fixed? What needs fixing? To me, the packaging
situation in Python/Fedora is pretty good and I don't see much things that
need fixing from Fedora point of view (besides setuptools/distribute).

fs

--
Felix Schwarz
Dipl.-Informatiker