fedora wikipage Packaging:Python

Martin Bukatovič martin.bukatovic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 22:35:19 UTC 2015

Dear python-devel list,

I have few questions about the Packaging:Python wikipage[1],
with hope that this list is the right one for me to do so.

The page doesn't discuss much any differences in guidelines
for packages of python modules, python applications and
when python project provides both. For example both ruby
and haskell packaging guidelines covers this topic. Would you
consider this to be important/useful enough for new packager
to provide better guidance?

There is no mention of any semi automatic tools which would
try to create initial spec file based on metadata provided
in PyPI. Like bdist_rpm of distutils or py2pack. Do you use
them to create initial spec file? Is there any official
policy on this? Is there any reason not to use such tools?

Moreover would you think that listing few nicely packaged
python projects on the wikipage would make sense?

Besides that I puzzled about few other details which
involves "python 3 as default" requirements, but this I
leave out for now.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python

Thank you for your answer

Martin Bukatovic