RATS replacement with Koji image building

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 11:18:08 UTC 2014

> > I'm not sure if we understand each other. The disk image creation
> > process (run by Koji) uses anaconda, and IIUIC the result is a disk
> > image (to be used in VMs, for example), not an ISO. So we don't need
> > to do anything with the resulting images, we just throw it away. We
> > would be just interested in the result.
>
> OK, I see what you were getting at. Are you sure that the process is
> actually using anaconda? I thought that it was using stuff like oz [1]
> for image generation and only accepts kickstarts to make the tools
> uniform.

The speaker says they use oz, and that anaconda is used to perform the installation. See 04:51 to see a screenshot of anaconda in action.

> [1] https://github.com/clalancette/oz/wiki
>
> > So the whole check could look like this (pseudo code):
> >
> > task = koji.buildImage('ks.cfg', 'fc21', scratch=True)
> > task.wait()
> > if task.success():
> >   return PASSED
> > else:
> >   return FAILED
> >

> > This could be run daily.
>
> If you're right about koji using anaconda then yeah, this would make
> sense. Otherwise, I'm not sure how much value we'd see since the cloud
> folks sound like they're planning to run image composes on a daily
> basis or so.

If they do it even for development releases, we might not even need to run our own builds, we might just intercept their results. But we will probably want to test a different package set than they will.