Task Scheduling for depcheck

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Tue May 6 15:00:00 UTC 2014

> > > 3. Report changes in build/update status on a per-build/per-update
> > >    basis at every depcheck run
> >
> > I don't understand this. Is it somehow different from what we already
> > do?
>
> Not really. The emphasis was on reporting (to resultsdb, not to bodhi)
> everything, every time instead of just reporting what changes may have
> triggered the depcheck run.

OK, in that case we understand each other.

> > I'm not completely familiar with 'builder' term. I read the docs [1],
> > and I see we have three builds on stage - all, i386 and x86_64 - but
> > I'm not sure exactly why. Autotest allowed us to select machines
> > depending on arbitrary tags (arch, distribution, virt capabilities,
> > etc). I suppose we will need the same with Taskotron. Will we add a
> > new builder for every former tag and their combinations, or why
> > exactly do we need to solve this on builder level?
> >
> > [1] http://docs.buildbot.net/0.8.1/Builder.html#Builder
>
> We will probably need a method for selecting the type of client used
> for tasks at some point, yes. At the moment, I don't think we need to
> worry about it, though. None of the current tasks require specific
> fedora releases and unless I'm mistaken, there are no runtime arch
> requirements, either - every task could be run on x86_64 regardless of
> what we're checking against.
>
> There is no direct equivalent to autotest tags in buildbot but it is
> possible to have builders accomplish most of the same things. A
> buildslave can belong to multiple builders and that's how it's
> currently set up - i386 slaves are assigned to both the 'i386' and
> 'all' builders and the x86_64 slaves are assigned to both the 'x86_64'
> and 'all' builders.
>
> The reason that I was thinking about it from a builder level was to
> handle the incoming requests differently than the "non-fused" builders
> if we did the implementation in buildbot. After talking with ralph over
> IRC, it sounds like implementing the fuse in fedmsg-hub would be quite
> a bit easier and cleaner but a little less transparent for now.

We can also implement it in the trigger itself. Schedule the command with cron and create some temporary description file/lock file; if other signals come and the command still hasn't executed, just ignore them.

> > Yes, this sounds good. This is the simple concept. This advanced
> > concept would be even better:
> > * an incoming signal starts the fuse
> > * the fuse runs for X minutes
> > * after the job is executed (or finished), another fuse can't be
> > started for Y minutes (the next fuse timer X is ignited but frozen
> > until Y expires)
> >
> > With this, we can wait a short time (X) for additional signals (to
> > mitigate a problem of several signals coming shortly after each
> > other), and then wait a long time (Y) until a new job can be started
> > (therefore we mandate some minimum period of time between jobs, to
> > lower the load).
> >
> > But I guess that would be more difficult to implement and the simple
> > fuse is good enough for now.
>
> I don't see the advantage of waiting a short time (X) for additional
> signals and then waiting a longer time (Y) before scheduling another
> job. Wouldn't that be pretty much equivalent to waiting a longer X
> between initial signal and actual scheduling (with the exception of the
> "hasn't run in a while" case)? I'm not sure we'd get much out of the
> added complexity.

If the system is utilized 100%, then there's no difference. If there are some quiet times occasionally, then the XY fuse will execute the job faster than the X fuse.

> > Just a note - currently, upgradepath is triggered on any Bodhi update
> > stable or testing request. That is not optimal. Optimal is: a) Don't
> > trigger on update testing request (until [2] is implemented) b) _Do_
> > trigger on any build tagged in Rawhide (i.e. Koji notification)
>
> With the number of rawhide builds that happen, wouldn't that increase
> the number of upgradepath runs by at least an order of magnatude?

I was trying to get some numbers (an average number of builds tagged into Rawhide daily), but it wasn't really simple to do so I haven't invested the time into it. But if it's important for us to know, I can write a script to query the datagrepper and filter the results.

I don't think it would increase by an order of magnitude, but it would likely increase, yes. That is my concern. On the other hand, we already run a couple of tests on every single Koji build (not just Rawhide) in AutoQA, and we don't seem to suffer a large performance hit from it.

> > For upgradepath, I was thinking about implementing a proper
> > per-update checking (rather than whole tag checking). So, if there
> > was a new update foo-1.2, I would check just this update and nothing
> > else. The execution would be (much) faster, but we would spawn (much)
> > more jobs.
> >
> > It would require some changes in the trigger code (see paragraph
> > above) and also we would need to spawn upgradepath for _every single
> > new build in Rawhide_ (because that Rawhide build could fix some
> > Bodhi update issue in stable releases).
> >
> > I'm not really sure this is worth it. It's a lot of work and the
> > necessity to run upgradepath on every new Rawhide build deters me a
> > bit. The test infra load is probably comparable or even higher than
> > the fuse-based solution. But the check results would be available
> > sooner. For this moment, I would see this as a high priority, even if
> > we decide to do it. But I wanted to mention that for upgradepath, a
> > different approach is possible (based purely on notifications and
> > targeted testing, not testing the whole tag), it's just not a clear
> > winner when compared to tag-based testing.
>
> Just to make sure I'm understanding you, it sounds like you're OK with
> running upgradepath on an entire tag for now? I'm not against the idea
> of changing things up later but I'd like to keep things simple while we
> get the initial system and tasks deployed.

Yes, I prefer to keep the current tag-based upgradepath implementation at the moment.