Taskotron depcheck question

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 08:45:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 09:05:17 +0100
Petr Pisar <ppisar at redhat.com> wrote:

> > >I sent a question why miniz is flagged as multi-lib to the
> > ><rel-eng at lists.fedoraproject.org> and it's waiting on the
> > >moderator now. Once it propagates, I will take down a pointer here.
> >
> > Did you ever find out why miniz was flagged as multi-lib?
> >
> No. I sent on November 6th an e-mail to rel-eng mailing list, got a
> message it waits for a moderator and then no reply. Obviously the
> Fedora's one-man rel-eng team does not manage the mailing list.

I don't think that the snarky comments about other contributors is
really necessary. Since you know that Fedora rel-eng has been largely a
one-person show until recently, I suspect you know who that is. Perhaps
reaching out to that person or joining the rel-eng list temporarily
would generate a faster response. Moderation requests are easy to lose
in inboxes and both releng and qa are rather busy getting a release out
the door right now.

> However I got similar QA check report
> <https://taskotron.fedoraproject.org/taskmaster//builders/x86_64/builds/13277/steps/runtask/logs/stdio>
> for pcre
> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2014-14639/pcre-8.35-7.fc21>
> which never happened before.
>
> I remember from talks with RHEL rel-engs that they mark all '*-devel'
> packages as multi-lib just based on the package name. And then they
> have a lot of exception hard-coded into the mashing script. So I
> guess similar situation is in the Fedora too and that the script is
> just erroneous in same cases. And that it's not in line the packaging
> guidelines which explicitly require that any *-devel package must
> require specific architecture.

As far as I know, there aren't any exceptions in the Fedora mash
scripts.

The script used for mashing the release repo is:
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/releng/tree/scripts/mashcompose

which I think points to the default config:
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/mash/tree/configs/branched.mash

> If the QA check bothers you I would recommend to raise this issue to
> FESCo.

If the check bothers you, talk to us before going to FESCo, please. I
can't speak to whether or not the packages in question should be
multilib or not but the x86-32 packages do resolve and install properly
on x86_64 bit systems. As far as I'm concerned, this is a bug in
depcheck that needs to be addressed.

I apologize for not getting into this sooner - other things came up and
as far as I knew, this issue was only affecting a single package. I'm
going to be on PTO next week and likely the end of this week but I'll
try to get to this tomorrow or Thursday.

Tim