Building Images for Taskotron Disposable Clients

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 18 03:22:48 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-11-17 at 19:33 -0700, Tim Flink wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 17:50:13 -0800
> Adam Williamson <adamwill at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2015-11-17 at 17:23 -0700, Tim Flink wrote:
> > > Requirements:
> > >   - make post-install changes to the images before distribution
> > >   - specify partition table type
> > >   - create users on the image
> > >
> > > Are there other requirements for openqa images?
> >
> > For some of the images what we primarily need is some specific
> > partition table / layout, not any particular contents; as you say it
> > may not make sense to do that with the same tool, but that is one of
> > the openQA requirements.
>
> Just to make sure I was being clear - I was referring to the empty disk
> images (embedded updates.img, embedded ks, freespace etc. - the
> stuff that's only using guestfish) that are made with createhdds.sh, not
> the installed image. If I'm understanding correctly, it's the installed
> images (minimal, desktop) that would be most useful to rebuild on a
> regular basis - did I misunderstand something? Do all the images for
> openqa need to come from the same tool? I suspect that the guestfish
> "(mostly) empty disk" methods could be run just about anywhere at most
> once a release.

That all sounds accurate. No, they don't need to come out of the same
tool, though of course it's a bit more complex if we have to handle two
different image creation processes.

> That being said, it sounds like precise partitioning is another
> requirement.

Yeah, and it's at least feasible we might need to combine the two,
though I don't think that's the case for any of the current images.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey