Honey, I broke the openQA

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 30 03:03:11 UTC 2015

> So, er, yeah....sorry :/ I was updating openQA to the latest tests
> and
> stuff today and accidentally updated the system completely. That
> seemed
> to stop openQA working properly - I don't think the openSUSE folks
> are
> testing the 'stable' release against current openSUSE any more, and I
> think some stuff changed in the more recent Mojolicious versions
> they've sent out which breaks the old 'stable' release.
>
> So I tried to fix it for a bit and couldn't, and can't find a way to
> downgrade stuff back again. So I decided to just bump up to the
> latest
> 'unstable' openQA - it's working fine on happyassassin and upstream
> is
> actually running it on openqa.opensuse.org if you look (it's got the
> newer web UI and stuff). So I did that, and then went to reboot the
> machine to get a clean start...and it never seems to have woken up
> again. Sooo...yeah, I busted it. Sorry :( I tried poking around in
> the
> RH provisioning system where the box seems to live, but couldn't get
> it
> to wake up again (hope I didn't make it worse).
>
> Can anyone who has access to the management console or whatever
> please
> get the machine up and running again? Sorry again!

OK, I managed to get it back up, and openQA is back up and running
properly, I think. It's chewing through Final TC1 tests now.

Turns out the problem was that we had it using a repo called
"devel:languages:perl" , which upstream no longer recommends - I guess
it used to be needed to get some perl modules, but now it's too new,
and the missing perl modules are in a special repo in the openQA OBS
area, the one that
https://github.com/os-autoinst/openQA/blob/master/docs/Installing.asciidoc
calls "openQA-perl-modules". I ditched the other repo, added that one,
did a 'zypper dup' (which is like distro-sync) and openQA stopped
acting weird.

So we got a bit of an unplanned upgrade, but it does seem like
everything is working, and the good news is now we're on a newer openQA
which has the feature we need to use different disk images for the UEFI
tests, and also has a patch I just got merged to allow batch job
querying by ID so I can maybe tweak the 'wait for jobs to complete'
stuff again.

sorry for the mess!
--
Adam Williamson