FAD Goals and deliverables

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue May 12 21:40:39 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 12:10:32PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 01:03:15 PM Paul W. Frields wrote:

> > > 12) have koji be able to specify the backend for installing packages into
> > > chroots on a per target basis. we will need to use yum/yum-deprecated for
> > > most but we will want to use dnf for rawhide and new releases.
> > > yum-deprecated will be needed when we move builders to f22
> >
> > Here are some things that have been under previous discussion some
> > time but which I don't see on this list:
> >
> > * Koji 2 -- What does it look like?  How does it work vs. current
> >   Koji?  How will it change compose processes?
> at this point in time it does not exist at all. we can not assume anything
> about it. I have asked the koji devs to start planning and get moving, but
> right now thwere is no such thing.

Right, I didn't mean to imply with present tense that I thought it
did.  I was more asking for some sort of concept, so that as we are
building tools we aren't setting up for something that has to be
completely rewritten 12-18 months from now.

> > * Composedb -- Dennis has talked about this many times.  Is it still
> >   meant to happen?  Is there e.g. a schema design?
> Mathieu Bridon was tasked with this but AFAIK there is nothing existing for it
> yet. Again we need to move forward without it :( though it is something that I
> do really want. Perhaps he can give us an idea where it stands.
>
> > I'm not against items in the previous list getting done at the FAD.
> > But I guess I was asking what will happen wrt. the revolutionary list
> > beyond discussion (which is what the list is for).  IOW, leaving the
> > FAD with a vague consensus that "yeah, we'll take care of all that
> > with composedb, whatever/whenever that is" would be more like kicking
> > the can down the road.
>
> To me they are Bonus things we need. but they do not come out of thin air. I
> have tried to keep the list to concrete things that by the end of the FAD is
> complete and will majorly change the way we produce not only rawhide but
> Fedora.

There are some great things on that list for sure.  One additional
thing that needs to be reality by the time the FAD is over, if not
before (and I realize this is already the province of another thread):

* Establishing git repos/branches and a review process so work on
  tools happens regardless of what stage the release is actually in.

I would encourage looking at how this is done in the fedora-infra
related projects, especially since it seems Pagure 0.1.x works for
that purpose.  It's about more than the tool, though, it's also about
spreading the ability (and responsibility) for code reviews across
many people so things can always move forward.