FAD Goals and deliverables

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed May 13 14:02:08 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 09:17:23 AM Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2015, at 02:28 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > 2) integrated ability to make atomic installer and pxe to live in pungi
>
> Downstream Atomic operates on an asynchronous schedule, so there
> are going to be few times when we actually want to generate two installers
> and trees/etc simultaneously.
>
> The CentOS Atomic SIG is also planning to do regular 4 week releases,
> again asynchronously of the CentOS Core rebuild.
>
> We would also like the ability to do faster and more regular releases
> of Fedora Atomic Host - a 2 week interval has been discussed.
This is a big part of why we need it integrated into the tooling. we can
define a pungi config that has a subset of the full compose, i.e. the atomic,
and possibly cloud and/or livecd bits.  we can then make them as part of the
updates push process and  promote them to stable at any time.

> That doesn't mean that the code can't be shared - but it does make
> the "release mainline and Atomic together as one big blob" is an
> unusual case.
not at all.

> Basically, downstream is already releasing more frequently, and
> some of our competitors are moving *significantly* faster than 6 months.
I think you mean upstream when you say downstream, since *Fedora* is
downstream. part of the changes we are trying to make is to try and make you
happy.

> So there may be a more fundamental decision to make about whether
> Atomic should simply be part of that "big set" release at all.
not at all.

> > 10) port pungi to dnf
> > 11) make headway and plan to port to python 3
>
> Won't these break the ability of downstreams like CentOS to consume
> the tools?

not at all. the same tooling will work for CentOS, and RHEL.

Dennis