Fwd: Re: ruby 1.8.7.x for rawhide

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Tue Jun 22 22:05:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 15:09 -0400, Mohammed Morsi wrote:
> I could be wrong, but I don't think the search path order matters so
> much here, since what goes into each of these dirs is pretty well
> defined and disparate. So long as all the required paths are there,
> whatever required modules will be loaded correctly.
>
> If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me. If I am, I believe
> this can be easily fixed by changing the order which they are pushed
> onto the include path in the ruby-1.8.7-lib-paths patch

Please be very careful with any changes to the search path - while we
_think_ we know where people put stuff, changing the order in which
directories will be searched can break people's applications in very
subtle ways.

Also, please do not add directories to the search path - if we want
stuff like /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8.7 on the search path, we also
need to explain in the packaging guidelines what should and should not
go there. That's a longer conversation.

For this update, I'd much prefer if we'd keep the search path exactly
the same as it was in 1.8.6.

David