ruby version

Mohammed Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Wed May 19 00:00:38 UTC 2010

On 05/16/2010 12:07 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Frédéric Logier wrote:
>
>> I need mongoid pre and devise pre which depends of rails3. Anyway now
>> I'm using rvm http://rvm.beginrescueend.com
>>

> I was looking at RVM once or twice, but I haven't really sunk my teeth into it
> yet.
>
> Since you obviously have some more experience, could you tell me how you would
> think this could be enabled/packaged/available on a system-wide and per-
> application basis?
>
> -- Jeroen

While a rubygem-rvm package for Fedora would be appropriate, I don't
think rvm by itself is an acceptable solution for our problem w/
multiple incompatible ruby versions.

This is because (if I'm understanding it correctly) rvm is sort of a
package management system in itself, built ontop of gem, which
downloads, compiles, and installs ruby related packages depending on the
ruby interpreter and version specified by the user.

We may be able to leverage it in ruby related specfiles, eg instead of
using gem install, we use rvm install, provided it has a --no-deps
option. At the very least it may assist us in designing some guidelines
as well as establishing the framework for supporting multiple ruby
versions in Fedora (eg we can derive the neccessary files / directories
to get each ruby interpreter/version working separately). This is all
conditional on the rvm specifics though, something I am not familiar with.

As far as the original problem, I've been wondering what were the exact
incompatibilities between 1.8.6 and 1.8.7. Is there a definitive list
somewhere about the core changes that will cause breakage? I'm still
working on polisher so as to address this and be able to see any
problems at hand, but haven't had any cycles to be able to devote to it
recently. The 1.8.7 changelog can be found here, but it isn't the
easiest document to sort through and it isn't immediately apparent which
changes cause breakage

http://svn.ruby-lang.org/repos/ruby/tags/v1_8_7/ChangeLog

   -Mo