Greetings

Vít Ondruch vondruch at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 07:11:58 UTC 2012

Dne 16.7.2012 04:36, Jayson Rowe napsal(a):
> Hello All,
> I'm somewhat new (back) to Fedora, and I'm looking into various SIGs
> get get involved with. I'm curious about the Ruby SIG, and Ruby in
> general.

Hello and welcome!

> I've always managed Ruby with RVM. What are the
> advantages/disadvantages of using the Fedora provided packages?

There are several advantages:

* You don't have to care about compilation of binary extensions
* Binary dependencies, which are required by several gems (sqlite3 or
libxml2 for example) are automatically resolved and installed
* You are using just one packaging system
* Better integration with system
* The packages should play together

There might be also others. May be somebody will add some :)
Unfortunately there are also disadvantages:

* We diverge sometimes from upstream, although trying to convince
upstream that they should accept our patches ;)
* We do not keep always the piece of upstream nor it is always possible
to keep the piece due to various dependencies

>   Is there a way to do "gemsets" without using RVM?

* Use GEM_HOME environment variables
* Or you can have different users for different projects. We are not
mixing RPM managed gems with administrator installed gems nor with user
gems. I.e. if you are installing gems without user privileges, they gets
installed into your home directory and they are available only for
current user

But neither of these are equivalent to RVM's gemsets.

> Also, what ways could I help out the SIG?

You can share your opinions on discussed topics or help to maintain your
favorite Ruby packages. For that, you should become Fedora packager [1].

> Thanks for any info!

Thank you for your interest

Vit

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join