gem2rpm and upgrades of existing rpms

Joe Rafaniello jrafanie at redhat.com
Mon Jun 23 16:05:14 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Dne 23.6.2014 17:20, Joe Rafaniello napsal(a):
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone use gem2rpm to upgrade an existing rpm to new versions of
> > upstream gems?
> >
> > I'm contemplating working on a pull request to make gem2rpm aware of an
> > existing .spec file and only update specific sections such as: version,
> > requires, buildrequires, and adding a changelog.  As it is now, it
> > overwrites the existing rpm spec, removing any changelog entries, etc.
> >
> > Is this a good idea?  What do others do to regenerate the updated version,
> > requires/buildrequires to avoid human error?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> Hi Joe,
>
> I am not convinced that it is achievable with reasonable success. If I
> might suggest, then just generate new spec file and compare/merge the
> changes you are interested in.
>
> Don't take me wrong, I don't want to discourage you from providing patch
> and I am willing to accept it, but I doubt it will be robust enough for
> general usage :/ Actually, go ahead and for gem2rpm and will see if we
> can merge your changes back.
>

> Vít

Agreed.  I was first thinking of the compare/merge of the spec file and merging in the parts I want but thought it should be possible to do this programmatically.

I was thinking of "upgrading" the version, buildrequires, requires, and adding a changelog if the spec file exists... are there other sections that would make sense to be "upgraded" when you pull in an updated upstream source?

Are there new/changed packaging conventions(new macros, etc.) that periodically get updated in gem2rpm that this "upgrade" process would miss?
I was thinking it should detect "patch" files and warn the user that those patches may not apply with the upgraded source or suggest doing it from scratch without the patches.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

--
Joe Rafaniello